Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Evening Sun over the Footie Field


I know this is very 'blocky' but I had to reduce the pixel-count right down, to persuade 'blogger' to upload it. If things seem more propitious at a less popular hour for blogging, I'll try again with a stronger version. It was a much colder night but nowhere near a frost and the dahlias survived. Dahlias in November must be fairly unusual, unless one lives on Tresco or similar. I took some pictures of them because tonight is supposed to be much colder and there might even be a frost. It is fast approaching flannelette parjies weather.

The picture is our lovely view over the football field, when the evening sun shines over the bungalow and bathes the trees in a deliciously warm and photogenic light.

Our 'Hockney to Holbein' class was super again and, although I said I wouldn't bore you with more art, I can't resist including Picture 2. Gainsborough's Mr and Mrs Andrews has been a favourite since I first saw it way back in the 60s. We have now reached the Reynolds and Gainsborough era and the founding of The Royal Academy. With both of us having had an interest in art for such a long time we feel quite knowledgeable, but the class demonstrates how much we don't know. At the end of the session our tutor projected a series of similar portraits and we had to guess the artist. Very tricky with some. One, of a female member of the Spencer clan, led to a chorus of shouts of "Gainsborough", except Y who got it right. Then she said she felt a cheat because she had seen the picture and remembered. Doesn't sound like a cheat to me !

There seems to be something seriously wrong with 'Blogger'. The relevant computer press and forums are full of it. There were serious 'picture uploading' problems again and when I went to edit I got some of my text in Spanish. Much of the problem seems to be capacity based, and when off-peak, like now at 4am, the difficulties evaporate. Blogger are making a big push with their updated version in beta and I might have a look at it. So, if this Blog suddenly looks different, or doesn't appear for a couple of days, that will probably be the explanation.

Burton Joyce day for Y tomorrow and I have my camera club in the evening but, apart from odd jobs, a quiet day looms. Ray has completed his house-move and is almost but not quite back on stream. He e-mailed me but I shall leave replying for some days because I would inevitably tell him of my problem downloading siteadvisor to Firefox 2. Then he would try to sort me out and I'm sure he has more pressing things to do for a while. Mouse and Mart on WUforums are doing their best but it seems to involve 'profiles' and stuff which I don't really understand. I'll have a go later in the day. FF2 has features I don't really want - like an automatic spell-checker which doesn't seem to be equipped with an off-switch. It puts its irritating line of red dots under 'favourite' for instance just because I'm using the UK spelling. I hate spell-checkers.

In response to comments "Yes, we did see The Royle Family" and thought it superb. I would have blogged something about it, and maybe a picture, but I can't cover everything. And we make no apology for being Strictly Come Dancing fans. We even ring up and vote for our favourites. So there !

Byeee.......

No comments: