Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Ikea - Toys R Us - The Mechanics

A snap off Saturday night's 'telly' and undoctored, for the record. I could 'photoshop' away the line across the middle, but, in my opinion, it conveys verisimilitude ! Lovely word 'innit?

Brucy still doing his stuff at 'god only knows what age' and his early background in vaudeville and the halls, equip him more than most to compére a live show. There have been a few 'incidents' which would have floored a less nippy entertainer. Occasionally he does a few 'steps' and he is still a pretty smooth mover. The dancers are Matt, a top rugby player, and Lilia, a dance professional. And I think they are going to win. Y favours Mark Ramprekash and Karen. They are strong contenders, but so are Louisa and Carol Smilie. It's almost too exciting for me.

Picture 2 is of Y's birthday flowers, which I needed to capture before they went 'to spend more time with their family'. In fact the cyclamen from Martin and Rachel is just now beginning to look a little tired, but the others, particularly Sharon's chrysanths in a pot, and David and Helens bunch are still going strong, and they arrived on 27th October !!. Mind - they've had TLC.

I could photoshop the rather distracting 'garden through the window' but again - it IS a record shot and for all the reasons discussed yesterday I have decided not to.

First job this morning was Ikea for a small bookcase for my room. I am acquiring all sorts of books again and window-sills in the winter aren't a good idea. We purposely arrived before 11am so we could take advantage of the 'brunch'. Bacon, sausage, beans, hash-browns, egg, and a grilled tomato. Wait for it ! 95p ! And as much coffee as you can drink. One mug each in our case - and good quality too.

Then to Toys R Us, on Queen's Drive, which we navigated to without a single hitch. I don't know how to do that stupid reversed 'R' so you must forgive me. Y wanted a toy cot for Millicent. Simple you would think. Not so- they didn't have such a thing. Anyway, after mobile-consultation with Lisa, Millicent is going to have a cradle (which Lisa is going to organise).

After that we headed for The New Mechanics and went Mansfield Road way, because while I was sitting in the car waiting for Y and the cot, I heard a Radio Nottingham 'traffic flash' announcing the the top of Parliament Street was closed. These BBC services can be so valuable.

Then our Class, which was excellent again. We've reached John Singer Sargent, Whistler, Lord Leighton, Alma Taddema et al and then a rather poor, under-exposed slide of Lady Agnew (JSS) which we had been fortunate enough to see in Edinburgh. It is maybe our favourite portrait, of its type. 'In the flesh' the painting is unbelievably lustrous and beautiful. We could happily live with it on the wall.

Then Morrisons filling-station for some milk and home to pots of tea and e-mails and the Blog.

Byeeee.................

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that the telly shots are better left ‘as is’
I actually cannot stand ‘Brucie’. I think he’s a smug sod, whatever his skills. And very not funny with it. Being old doesn’t make him any easier to put up with (now where have I heard that before?).

The flowers really do look a picture, (which of course they are); far to good to be thrown away yet. Don’t you know anyone in hospital? You must know lots who are dead.

The Ikea brunch sounds great. They should do it all day. 95p or £1.95? A remarkable price whichever. I must assume the coffee was not included?

I also need to get another bookcase made, Sandra having redecorated the small bedroom and robbed me of about 20 foot of shelving. We have a very good pine manufacturer locally, whose prices are extremely reasonable. Unfortunately his factory burnt down a couple of weeks ago but he hopes to soon get it up and running again. The fire started in the bakery next door, so Sandra suggests they should rename Beacon Court (although not altogether inappropriate) as Pudding Lane.

Must break off now … Torchwood!

Anonymous said...

Yes, verisimilitude is a lovely word. It is verisimilitude another word which I cannot quite remember - I'll ask Roget.