Thursday, November 09, 2006

Spiders and Emett's Clock

I think the first Picture can safely be called 'Spider 5 - Flies 0' and must count as a home win. Not a good photograph, but it was through glass which wasn't as crystal.

It saddened me that I couldn't actually see the spider anywhere on his/her web. Maybe a very small spider. Having now looked at the image full-size I am wondering if that creature which I had counted as fly 5 (in the top left hand corner) is in fact the spider?

But I had to stand on my bedroom footstool to get high enough and didn't feel very secure. I thought - "If I fall off, Y will be full of uncritical sympathy". So I got down.

Instead of just dropping Y at the tram this morning I accompanied her as far as Theatre Square because I had urgent shopping I needed. The tram was incredibly busy and we were both annoyed at a young mum with a 4yr old boy, who she insisted should travel free. Then she let him occupy a seat, even though there were many standing ladies, some elderly. The conductor couldn't do much because the crush was so solid no-one could move short of getting off. A case for Jill's knitting lady with the scissors. She could have given him a quick jab in the bum (the 4yr old not the conductor). As usual I thoroughly enjoyed my morning. Coffee and Toasted Tea Cake at Capocci's, mooch round Victoria Centre, and although I managed to avoid Waterstones, W.H.Smith's captured my attention and I found a book I couldn't manage without. Inevitable I suppose.

Had a sitdown and did abit of people-watching and I just happened to be passing our famous Roland Emett Clock at 10.55am. So I waited, expecting it to do something interesting at 11am. But all it did was chime eleven chimes. Nothing popped out, lit up, whirled round. You can see how it fascinated the crowd sitting round !!

Nice tram ride back to Phoenix Park. A bit of Morrison's then home.

This afternoon the burglar-alarm man came and he told me all about the business he had built up and then sold. He only really does old customers/friends now and we apparently qualify. He is really nice. Some time ago he set me up with Microsoft Autoroute which of course I lost in the 'crash' and don't feel inclined to reinstall due to the availabilty of such good freebies like Google Maps, MultiMaps etc. But it's the thought that counts.

On the tram ride we passed the beautifully restored Railway Bridge at Basford. It was my intention to break my journey to take a picture but the sun was completely on the wrong side. I grabbed a little of it through the tram window, which I may Blog tomorrow but it really deserves a more studied approach, and from the other side. The Bridge has been a favourite landmark of mine for so many years and I was delighted when they decided to restore it instead of demolish it.

A shortish Blog this evening because I've got jobs to do. Make myself abit of tea. Set the video for Strictly Come Dancing and I hope Claudia isn't wearing that ghastly lipstick again. It just didn't suit her - made her look like a right slapper !

Then collect Y from the tram. Then Eastwood Photographic Society, to give it it's full title

Byeeee.......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting photo. The little top left fella seems to have plenty of legs, so your surmise may be correct.

Up to what age do children travel free? And how did you know he was 4? And why are you so cruelly disposed towards him?
I recall being on a bus with my aunt (the very proper one) when I was a similar age and a woman, standing, asked if I would give up my seat. My aunt would not allow it. “You stay where you are, Bobby; that seat has been paid for.” I remember finding the episode embarrassing although I do not believe that the woman was particularly elderly (about thirty perhaps? My aunt would have been in her mid-twenties.)

Now I understand Jill’s emailed denial. She does not wish to be taken for the phantom stabber. But, at risk of sounding repetitive, I hardly think a four-year-old deserves to be impaled by an adult!

I have never liked WH Smiths' shops and avoid entering them so far as possible. Some people feel the same way about the Co-Op, I believe, and Netto certainly.

All the people round the clock appear to be too busy texting to be interested in chimes.

I watched episode 2 of ‘The State Within’ on BBC1 tonight, then half the double-episode re-run of ‘This Life’ on BBC2 before setting the video to record the second half from midnight so that I could prepare this and copy it from my failsafe Word Doc at 1.00 am.