Saturday, June 30, 2007

Weather typical English late June - Raining

Our Cotinus or smoke-bush is doing well again. It obviously likes the spot where it lives and the evening sun makes it look really 'smoky'.

Fortunately, where it is isn't enclosed or from tomorrow it would prolly be illegal.

Neither Y nor I smoke but both feel that people's right to enjoy a cigarette and a drink in a pub should be inalienable. It was quite right to prevent smoking in restaurants because the 'waft' of fag-smoke drifting across while one is eating is not good. But Pubs? Oh dear oh dear.

We've had a pleasant day. A leedle Lidl followed by a little Morrisons and a little Eastwood. I cooked haddock in batter, with chips and peas for lunch and, phillistines that we are, we both preferred the haddock to the expensive sea-bass. I went to the Butcher this morning for our 6 weekly re-provisioning and saw David from Durban House there. "Pleased to see that you get you meat from a decent place!" I said. Mrs Redgate and Peter liked that. Tracy is coming for lunch tomorrow and will have her traditional lamb - in the form of Barnsley Chops. Peter says he wishes he could breed longer lambs because the barnsley chops always run out first. This the real advantage of ringing an order through midweek, to collect on Saturday morning.

Matt is at his 'priceless' best again this morning. It is so good and who else but Matt would have thought of it. I know it's cruel and the animal-liberation lobby won't find it at all amusing but the rest of us do.

The stances of the dogs is anthropomorphic 'in spades', but he has got them just right.

I felt I was tiring of my Radiogandy logos which I use on some forums so this morning I sorted out an additional 5.

This is one of them and I hope you like it

Quotes are a bit thin today. But when in doubt, have a look in Emerson:-
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail".
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Catch you tomorrow. Sleep tight. A note in my notebook yesterday morning reminded me "Do not trust jobs" - I thought "Fair enough, I won't".

Then I realised that what it actually said was "Do Nat. Trust jobs"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you would only be in trouble with the smoke-bush indoors if you employed someone to look after it.
We are in agreement about the smoking and what would be reasonable. Even Sandra, who smokes, would no longer think of inflicting it upon anyone who was eating.
No doubt, like me, you will remember the days of Dinner Dances when the Queen was toasted immediately after the first course so that a cigarette could be enjoyed while awaiting the entrée (or fish at the really posh dos) and thereafter between all courses.
I have a scheme in mind for a large, possibly national, Smokers' Co-Operative (non-smokers allowed) run on similar lines to our local ’Grow-Your-Own’ veg collective. The members would serve drinks on a points-rewarded voluntary basis at the numerous popular premises in every town. They would be called The Smokehouse or The SmokeEasy. Anyone demanding smoke-free access would be issued with a gasmask.
All right, It needs working on.
Matt’s cartoon is great.

When Rocking Horse David was in Ollerton, as Chief Exec of Boughton Pumping Station, he always obtained his meat (and bacon and sausage) from a long established local butcher, so I am not surprised that he does the same at Eastwood.

I cannot tell what your mini-logo is even though I think I may know. I am only sure that it will not be a symbol of some secret society.

And that Waldo won’t be very popular with the council.
I always remember reading, many years ago, an article on landscape design which suggested not putting paths down in parks until they appeared naturally where people WANTED to walk. Folk naturally take the shortest route unless some physical deterrent is put in place to prevent it, so they will always cut corners however many signs say ‘Keep off the Grass’.
That reminds me of a photo of a sign I once saw, I think in the Architectural Review, which sort of summed up official notices with the words ‘It is Forbidden to Read This Notice’.
ي