Monday, June 18, 2007

Splendid Weekend - But all this rain.

Looking left from our Weston super Mare Hotel bedroom. I think the rather weird light conveys the changeable weather. But we had a great time ! Our National Trust group are of a mind to enjoy it, whatever, and therefore we do. There are of course the inevitable moaning minnies but they are always with us.

On the way down we went to the National Trust HQ at Heelis, please click here and a remarkable building it is too. A truly 21st Century building and the above link will take you too it and more explicitly than me publishing a couple of pictures and trying to describe. The above mentioned 'mm s' complained that it wasn't a proper National Trust type 'old building'. Oh well ! We were split into three groups for guided tours and, if anyone is ever in the area, I would strongly recommend a visit. At one juncture a charming young lady thought I needed the lift and took charge of me, so I went down in it anyway ! She said it was a great place to be each day and she had never been happier at work. And she sounded convincing!

Each day was different and during the last evening we sat on the prom, in a wind-proof corner and watched the gulls hovering and playing in the thermals.

On the second day we visited KnightsHayes Court, when we did have some rain. But Y and I were pleased we decided to brave it and have a quick look at the gardens. They were rewarding and had probably the most attractive lily-pond I have seen.

On the last day we visited SnowHills Manor which Jill describes as one of her favourites. It certainly is different. It was the storehouse of an eccentric collector of most things. He lived in a cottage at the rear and, in the house itself, were hundreds of thousands of 'objects' from tiny ivory figures to samurai suits. He was definitely 'odd' shall we say and I don't think I would have been keen to number him among my close friends.

Picture 3 is merely 'basil rooting' and it was Saturday June 9th when I assured you that he would root, and this picture is just 9 days later. So, next time you buy basil remember to snip a bit off and pop it in a glass and a second generation plant will soon be yours.

I think I am now up-to-date with e-mails, but behind with my artdaily newspaper. Up-to-date with photographs because I took my lappy away on its holidays, so downloaded each day's pictures and did a preliminary sort out. I'm way way behind with my AmPhot and WebUser forums but that isn't really important.

And Yes David. We did remember to announce Morrisons, or Aldi, or Lidl etc., to each other, as the coach drove past an example ! And I have sent you an e-mail with a link to a 'pretty kettle of fish' page. What with this 'no alcohol' lifestyle and holding boring conversations in coaches, we really are turning into the sort of people we used to avoid.

I am excited about my chance to play 'woodcraft folk' when I go to caravan-sit for David on Wednesday till Friday of this week at Carsington Water. So, unless I chance upon a handy Wi-Fi spot whilst there, Radiogandy will be off the air - again ! But I have plans for endless tripod and nature photography, mucho messing-about, lots of reading and a little writing. And Y will enjoy the break from me.

Hope everybody is fine. Sleep tight. Catch you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Weston sky certainly loks threatening – almost like snow!

I won’t attempt to judge the National Trust HQ from the photos available but it certainly does not offend me at all, in fact I regard it favourably, and it seems to push all the sustainability buttons which is a good thing this week.
Many people only see merit in olde buildings, some of which (especially all but a few Victorian examples) I find pretty hideous. I suppose it is all to do with education in its broadest sense. Europeans, and particularly Scandinavians, don’t seem to have these hang-ups.

It was kind of the lift lady to let you go down with her, unless you wanted to go up? (I have this cartoon image of a burly young man dragging an unwilling old lady across the street). But if it keeps her happy.

I am surprised the gulls needed their thermals. Although it has been very wet here it has not been cold.
Danny and Em (and Hilary and Jack) spent last week in Cornwall (D & E camping) and only had rain at night. I think I may have already told you that Dan couldn’t use his new(ish) Datsun 3.5 V6 Datsun two-seater because there wasn’t room for luggage. So they went in Em’s van.

Lily pond – Monetarism?

“He was definitely 'odd' shall we say and I don't think I would have been keen to number him among my close friends.”
I’ll get me coat!

'Basil rooting' is a quite surreal image. I like it.

So long as you didn’t stop to go in each Morrisons, or Aldi, or Lidl etc, I think David should stop pitying you. I recall two GOM sitting in a car watching the rain come down on Hunstanton beach while eating Netto Prawn Mayonnaise sandwiches. It don’t get much more cutting edge than that.
I sometimes with I’d go away.

One more blog before you go-go, as Wham nearly sang.

INCIDENTALS
Do you make your own gnocchi from mashed potato, flour & egg or buy thenm dried in a bag from Netto?

Radio Nottingham weather forecast for Monday: Rain followed by showers, some torrential.

Architecture Week follows Fathers’ Day as surely as Stir Friday follows Mandy Rice Thursday.