Saturday, June 23, 2007

Back from Carsington - chucked it down - but Great

Thanks for the 'comments' on the last blog; they always enhance. And thanks for the poem Jill, it is very good indeed. I haven't researched it yet but it has Wendy Cope written all over it.

My few days 'caravan-sitting' at Carsington were a resounding success. I arrived just after lunchtime, having found a pub which did chip cobs. Having been programmed by WOW to have such on a Wednesday it seemed right. And very nice it was too.

The food at the Visitors' Centre was a disappointment. The view from the Gallery Restaurant was excellent but the food D minus I'm afraid. And it wasn't just me; when I went for lunch on the second day it was busy and as I glanced round at other diners there were no oohs and aahhs of delight. Anyway I didn't go for the food and I soon mastered the gas oven, electric kettle and toaster in the caravan. Talk about 'mod cons' I had mains-electricity, a hot-water system. a shower, and even central heating. The days of popping half a tennis ball over the towing ball are long gone but obviously David's boyhood experiences haven't put him off caravanning. I decided against either of the bunk-beds and settled for a single just inside the door with lovely views through windows and a place to stand my essential within-reach overnight junk (clock, glasses, note-book, pen, radio, torch, peppermints - I know, I know !) It was an excellent choice because the narrowness of the bed meant that, without a big upheaval, I slept snuggly in one position. And I slept great and woke up comparitively pain-free.

After I woke, with the light filtering in around 4am I thought, as planned, sunrise photographs. Picture 1 was no more than 20 yards from the caravan door and is the view through the trees. As there was very little light it was a tripod job, and half a second at f11. I hope it captures the 'feel' and it wasn't me who hacked off the top of a conifer (quarter in from right) but it's absence substantially improved the view.

Picture 2 was as I was passing the water and these geese (?) amused me. They made me think of "Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work we go" and were completely oblivious of me as they trudged past around 20 yards away.

The weather confirmed my unofficial theory that "it seldom rains at dawn". Which came about from years of observation in the days when policemen used to work 'nights' and outside on the beat, on foot. Ah well ! Such is progress.

Picture 3 was down one of the many lanes close to the water and I was very taken with the low sunlight bursting through the trees and illuminating little sections of the scene. Tripod again and nearly a full second at f8 - for the few who are interested in such techy details.

n.b. for occasional readers. To see an enlarged version, just left click on the picture itself.

After that it was back to the caravan for brekkie and a kip for a couple of hours plus of course a little radio. I had ordered a Telegraph, which duly arrived at The Warden's reception office at 9am each day and where one can buy bread, milk and eggs etc., and browse lots of leaflets about local 'things to do'.

As I predicted, I managed to arrive without something. Pyjamas ! But 'what the hell ?' I slept perfectly well in vest and pants. Yvonne and I kept in touch entirely by text which we both like. Not only is it so cheap, but a text doesn't put pressure on people as a live call does. Bungus texted me too which was pleasant.

When they arrived on Friday, Sky and Brooke brought me a little 'blue-tit' coat badge so this final picture is specially for them ! It isn't a Carsington Picture but one from home and is a very young blue-tit close to where they have been nesting in a thorn bush at the rear of the Silver Birch. I'm closing down now, not because I've run out of stuff to tell you, or photographs, but I think everyone has an attention span and I have probably already exceeded most people's.

Which brings me logically to my final quote :-

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"
- Robert McCloskey

I can't wait to go 'woodcraft folking' again. But David was absolutely right. I was far better in the Caravan than a tent. Sleep tight everyone.!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you the Carsington visit went well despite less than perfect weather.
I like the photos, esp the geese.

It hadn’t occurred to me that Jill’s poem might be Wendy Cope but having read it again I am sure your attribution is correct.

Although I have never managed to express my views quite so elegantly, the Robert McCloskey quote tells just how I feel much of the time.
I try to use words clearly and precisely but so often people either do not hear or do not understand what I am saying.
I sometimes end up shouting.

ي

Anonymous said...

Theres one for this year monthly comps