Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Brinsley Gin and Erewash Meadows - Hot

Considering we had nothing planned it turned out a super day. Leisurely start, papers etc., little shopping, early lunch - chicken stir-fry 'cos we found some pak choy and for pudding the goosegogs from yesterday with greek yoghurt. A cosmopolitan meal and, apart from the yoghurt, carbon friendly.

After lunch we decided on an adventure and discovered a hitherto unexplored footpath, reached by a bridle-road which makes things easier for me. It was finger-posted to Brinsley Gin and examination revealed Erewash Meadows Nature Conservation Area. And we didn't know it was there!! Just a mile from our house and we were in deepest rural Nottinghamshire. It was really hot and the grasses were high and the seed-pollen count didn't worry Y. It was reminiscent of boyhood walks and it smelt gorgeous.

Picture 2 shows where we reached and there was a convenient stile, not for me to climb over but to sit on.

I managed to get some blurry photographs of some dragonflies with the customary shiny blue bodies but apparently each with 4 black wings. Pictures will follow.

The heat and the ominous clouds were telling us the truth and now at 7.45pm we are in the middle of a thunder-storm. But we had such fun. The Erewash at this point is particularly babbly and even Y, not a picnic fan, said how nice it would be to have a roll-out ground square and a picnic, so we could sit and listen to the brook.

OK to both Bungus and Jill - I accept that 'the geese flying across the rose' was a bad idea! And I shan't repeat it. You are quite right to point out that, just because something is possible isn't a necessary and sufficient reason for doing it. And Yes! Paraphenalia is a lovely word. And you shall have a separate caravan just for your knitting stuff. I feel sure that Bungus will invent a special word for such a facility.

And thanks for the 'expanding' nature of your comment Bungus. Kenneth would be delighted to have such austere support for his 'Sydney Opera House' position. But by the time I see him I shall have forgotten.

I may return, but at the moment I am off to watch Springwatch.

Probably catch you later. If not, sleep tight !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I’ll be interested to see the dragonfly photos; there are numerous different ones. I have a particular affection for the small brilliant blue ones (coenagrion puella?)

We had rain early in the afternoon (as soon as I started the lawnmower). I stopped when it got heavier and as soon as I had put the mower away the sun came out again. Well bogger it!
Then we’ve had a steady to heavy downpour from sevenish till after nine.

By ‘ground square’, I wonder do you mean what I (and the army) know as a ‘groundsheet’ or a ‘travelling rug’ (we always had those in the 30s and 40s for picnics; and always tartan).

Re the geese-rose picture. No harm done trying it. I quite enjoyed it. But no harm Jill gently criticising either. She’s far kinder than me!

And what about Derby cathedral on Springwatch tonight? And the ladybirds and their offspring golloping greenfly?

A ‘nice’ distinction this evening from Roy on Corrie: is someone who recycles a recycler or a recyclist?
ي