Thursday, June 07, 2007

Only 51F and Dull all day.

Picture 1 was taken yesterday when it was a little brighter. Today has been uniformly dull and quite chilly for June. All day it as looked as if it is about to start raining, but it hasn't, yet.

The bee in flight was captured by my Nikon being cunning. If you set it on 'sports' - in some magical way it detects movement and focuses on the moving object . So in fact clever camera, not me.

Just in passing, for the benefit of new readers, a left-click on a picture produces an enlargement. And, if you are moved to add a comment, scroll right down to the bottom of the page where it says 'comments' in orange. Click there and a 'comments' box will open for you to add whatever you want to. Anyone else who reads the blog will have access to your 'comments' so please stay the right side of the libel laws. Other than that we have fairly thick skins and anything goes.

Picture 2 is a collage of various versions of the 'Hannah' rose because I was having trouble getting the reds to be accurate. Centre of the top row is almost spot on.

David and family have returned from their caravan holiday and have had mixed weather. Some super sun , some dismal. But they seem to have had fun. Likewise Steve and family from Disneyworld and Paris.

Y had a nice Burton Joyce grannying day and Millicent actually said 'granny' and was able to say that Daddy was at work and Mummy was shopping and Hannah was at School. Also I received a lovely handmade card from Elli through the post and although Debra had written the address Elli had written "Grandad Graham" very clearly on the front. I rang her to say thankyou and we exchanged a few words.

Steve called me this afternoon on googletalk and we exchanged pleasantries.

David and family are taking their caravan to Carsington for the weeked and we are invited over which will be fun. Details to be arranged. Also, my 'bowls' are doing well on ebay and there 5 days remaining of the auction.

Thats about it really. Done lots of odd jobs today bt I seem to have developed a cold and bad throat. Andy tells me there are lots of them about and Debra is suffering. See you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This should really have been on the post before....we hd a similar experiene with the peregrines last year at Chichester Cathedral, the RSPB had set up telescopes for people to look through, and a web-cam. Good to see so many people interested.

What a lovely collage of the red rose. I'd be thrilled to take such terrific photos - of course it would help if I had (1)read the insturction book past the first page and (2) had more technical interest! But I shall take camera with me to New Forest, so you never know your luck.....

Anonymous said...

What a very clever camera to capture the bee in flight. But I think he might be about to stall as his wings do not appear to be going fast enough.

When I first read that your ‘bowls’ are doing well I thought it was another health bulletin, but soon realised my error.

From Radio Nottm Home Page yesterday:
“A final piece of the jigsaw for a £50m bid to regenerate Sherwood Forest is expected to be put in place (soon).
Nottinghamshire County Council's cabinet has been recommended to back plans for a new visitor centre with tree-top walkways.
Full planning permission is a crucial part of entry to a TV show where public votes decide which local authority scheme gets the lottery funding.
The project, called Sherwood: the Living Legend, will see a present visitors centre demolished to make way for a metal structure clad with oak to look like a tree and blend with the forest.”
I am very strongly opposed to this project in this form and amazed that it won by public vote from five other proposals.
The idea of an artificial tree in a genuine forest appals me. It’s worse than the plastic flowers and foliage in the restaurant at Dukeries Garden Centre (that was perhaps 10 years ago, so may have changed).

To Jill:
The second page of the manual is quite informative.
I now know how to make a little flower (apparently it's called a 'macro' although I can't find it in the gardening book)come up on screen which allows very decent pictures not just of dandelions but of centipedes, snails and dessicated frogs from as close as 2". Der Blogmeister may see fit to include one to demonstrate my point.
ي