Monday, June 25, 2007

Weather - Arnold - Joans - Charity Shops

Picture 1 is the evening sky from my bedroom window at around 9.45pm last night. It only lasted like this for a matter of seconds. Often the best skies are before sunset and, at the other end, just before sunrise.

This one is not 'photoshopped' in any way, merely cropped to get rid of my window frame and the neighbours roofs etc. I've never been happy with 'roofs' and want it to be 'rooves' but I know it isn't.

At least it wasn't raining. There's been loads all over the country and an unfortunate death as a result of the flooding. In one place a month's rain fell in an hour. It must be global something or other.

This morning we nipped over to Joans and it took us ages to get there due to roads closed and the weather seemed to vary in 300 yard swathes, from downpour to sun to high wind. It was quite exciting. Then we did Arnold and I went on Charity Shop patrol while Y did important things. She needed a couple of cards and I drew her attention to The Cancer Research shop which has an excellent display of quality cards, very reasonably priced, and not suffering from the usual 'naffness'.

Picture 2 shows my National Trust 'jute' bag-for-life. They are the 'in thing' arent they? I bought it while we were away and its squareness and its ability to stand up unassisted appeal to me. In addition to the super-comfy handles.

I was lucky with the two books too. No poetry this time. The bottom one is The Times 'A Century in Photographs' and there's one photo for each year from 1900 to 1999. The top one is 'Farming through the Ages' and contains a chunk about Medieval furrows which have always fascinated me.

Both books together cost me £3 and when I'm through with them I shall donate them to another Charity Shop and get two more. Well, that's the theory. In fact I shall find shelf space for them somewhere; I always do.

Tomorrow we have a National Trust 'outings committee' meeting in Mansfield, which will be fun. Provided of course, that we haven't had to swim there. Bungus reports serious problems in the north of the County. But usually the A608 is OK.

I am more or less up-to-date with correspondence, forums, and reading in general so it must be bedtime.

"There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval"

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)

Can't really fault you there George !

Have a good night. See you tomorrow.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don’t know about not raining at dawn but it was hissing it down here at 06.30, and blowing a gale too.
I reckon those fellas who built their castles on the tops of hills had the right idea.

Your remarkable pre-sunset pic reminds me of some style of painting I wot not wot.
But I am sure that ‘rooves’ (like ‘hooves’) is a quite acceptable alternative to ‘roofs’ and is certainly the form I favour.

Nice bag. Not my bag but your bag. It is not dissimilar to the 2 Sandra has recently acquired (one from Tesco with ladybirds and one from Lunnon with red telephone boxes).

I think the ‘Medieval furrows’ to which you refer are a landscape feature which I know by a slightly different name (temporarily mislaid; or could it be ‘ridge and furrow’?). They occur at Laxton which is still farmed on the mediaeval ‘strip’ system where each farmer moves on each year in a sort of agricultural Tom Jones.
An acquaintance of ours, who supplies our game, is one of the farmers involved, third or fourth or more generation. He featured in a television documentary where at the annual court he was fined £5 at the annual court for ploughing a foot over the edge of one of his strips.

I forgot to water the outdoor tomatoes again tonight but I doubt they willl come to much harm.

Anonymous said...

Sainsburys also do similar jute bags - in two sizes, a giant one for shopping and a smaller one like your NT one. I use the smaller one for current knitting project, it stands up so nicely by my feet....

Am off tomorrow for three weeks, don't think I will have computer access, so cheerie-bye!