Friday, June 08, 2007

68F - No Wind - More or less a Rest Day

How could I resist such a delicately phrased suggestion that a Bungus 'collage' might grace the radiogandy pages? Especially of 'macropedes' and 'macrosnails' heading in different directions.

For the benefit of our general readership, Bungus has discovered a button on his camera marked 'macro' and apparently can't stop.

Joking apart, it is an excellent collage, and nowhere near as simple as it looks because Picasa can be quite wilful in the matter of its cropping decisions.

We are also looking forward Jill, to your 'New Forest' coverage and don't be over critical of your own work. I remember the St Petersburg shots and the bleeding something Cathedral and they were good. In this journal we veer towards 'record-shots' rather than 'high-art' and we are interested as to where you've been and what you have been up to. Thanks for the Peregrine info about Chichester Cathedral. Isn 't it strange that they favour cathedrals. An RSPB chap at Derby implied that such a building is a simulacram for a cliff. Don't believe a word of it myself. I think that Peregrines are religious - simple as that.

Picture 2 is a hang-over from our Brewhouse Yard visit and although bricked, this was in fact a tidied up cave.

They had on the wall these Word War 2 posters and we remembered them all except that Y couldn't recall the 'squander-bug'. (bottom-right with blue background). 'Is your journey really necessary?' and 'Dig for Victory' but we didn't find 'Careless talk costs lives.'

The display is mainly what they have been given and with those constraints it was excellent.

We had a lady come to view the house this morning and she actually seemed quite promising. She was quite young but needs to have her mum move in with her (due to failing health) and at the moment she only has two bedrooms. So she was quite taken with my room with its en suite loo and washbasin and the ample room at the back to extend. She asked all the right sort of important questions and was here ages. But her house isn't even on the market yet so we aren't getting too excited.

Y went to the hairdresser and learned the dreadful news that the girl who does here hair (37yrs) had fallen down the stairs at home and was dead. It has really unsettled Y.

We bought some sea-bass in Morrisons and plan to cook it over the weekend with gnocchi, mixed veg etc., and I shall have a go at Anon 1's 'sauce vierge' recipe. And I had to buy basil. Unheard of. So as soon as I got home I set some of our favourite 'minette' seed. It will germinate in 5 minutes and be potted-on in 10. A slight exageration perhaps but it is speedy, and once you've got it, rooting cuttings in a stem-vase of water, is a doddle. That's about it for today folks. We are going to Carsington Water to see David and family but arrangements need to be finalised. I had a nice chat with Steve yesterday afternoon via 'google chat' and I had forgotten how handy it is. TJ rang because she had heard I was suffering neck/back/throat etc,. but I was able to reassure her that, no matter, I am in good spirits.

Bit of a cold. Catch you tomorrow. Sleep tight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You fairly sum up my Macro obsession and I could not have asked for the collage to be better presented.
There was a ‘bit’ in the useless free newspaper Sherwood Forester that was, not surprisingly, a load of cobblers (forgive me for being so polite). It said that if you pour a drop of whisky on a scorpion it will sting itself to death. I very much doubt it.
As I told Sandra, I once captured one in an 8” deep tube and, when I poured a spot of lighter fuel on it, it shot out like a mortar bomb. Fortunately I had both my wits and my fag lighter about me and, therefore, was able to set fire to it before it sought revenge.
I also recalled the old story that if you put one in a circle of petrol and applied a match, it would sting itself to death. Wrong. A group of us once tried it and the creepy creature simple ran into the flames and cremated itself.
Sandra said I was cruel. “A, yes,” I responded, “but in those days I was not a Buddhist.”
“Are you a Buddhist now?” she asked.
“Yes,” I said, “The reason I see so many small creatures to photograph as I walk around the pit tip is because I am constantly looking out for the hundreds of centipedes to avoid treading on them.”
A little creative lying can sometimes be very useful.

Please forgive the corniness of any following jokes. They are amaizeing.

There may be another aspect to the cathedral/cliff business. After all Cliff is a Christian, isn’t he?

I’m not sure a brick wall is the best illustration of a cave, but you make a nice point about the slogans. As you didn't find 'Careless talk costs lives.' it is perhaps no surprise that the wall does not have ears.

Your viewer sounds a better possibility than most previous ones. Let us hope that her elderly mother hangs on until their house is sold.

And, although I am genuinely sorry to hear about Yvonne’s hairdresser, it does make me thankful that I did not follow up my childhood ambition to be a barber (I once practised on my cousin’s dolls; Donald Duck didn’t have hair, so his beak had to go).

Finally, may I suggest that rather than cooking the sea-bass over the weekend you try cooking it over the hob?

Exit hastily Stage Left to boos and catcalls, pursued by a bear.
ي