Sunday, September 03, 2006

Very Windy - A Rest Day

A very windy day. Google tells me '49km/hour South Westerly' but it is really quite warm. Not that it matters because, except for a quick nip to Morrison's for bread and milk, I haven't been out. This morning was devoted to tidying up my photos in both My Pictures and Picasa and while doing so, I spotted this photo of Tenby Harbour. Up until now it hasn't been used for anything due to an ugly lamp-post sticking up from the bottom of the pic like a sore thumb. So I spent half an hour cloning it out and I challenge even Bungus to announce where it was. The remedial work wasn't difficult as the water is more-or-less uni-coloured.

Spoke to David on the phone and he wants to put the occasional comment on the Blog so I talked him through the process. His 'comments' will be most welcome and valued so I hope he persists. But, of course, I rarely comment on my own Blog. I had a look at Jill's pal's Blog 'yarnstorm' and, as Jill said some of the photography is excellent. Yarnstorm also uses a trusty aged compact. It's the photographer that counts, not the camera.

Even so, my Casio is now held together with black plastic tape and I may venture into buying another. When I was in Mansfield with Bob we had a look in Jessops because at that stage my interest went as far as a proper Digital SLR in order to get the lens length. They were great big heavy clunky ugly things (I do like lots of adjectives). But research shows me I don't need to go that far. The Canon A700 has a lens which gives the equivalent of 35mm - 210mm which is quite a long telephoto and would easily do better bird pictures. And about a third of the weight - and a third of the price !

Yvonne and Jill's meet happened with no hitches and they had a super day. Y's trip from Palmers Green to Turnham Green took around an hour and was painless. They have, after all, known each other since they were girls and hadn't actually met for a few years. Y says that now she has discovered it is so easy, she will go over again soon.

While I was having a poke about in the subject of italics I found this site which is of interest to writers. And I know that Madeline's husband Chris is a writer so I am posting this link. It is The Economist Magazine's house-style book and it seems to me to be excellent. But maybe Chris already has something similar. If so, no harm done.

And I am quite sure that 'unitalics' is a word. If it wasn't - it is now ..........

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In our hearts we are still 'girls' - yes we had a great day, marvellous really that we can pick up where we left off, after not seeing each other for 5 years. We have actually known each other 53 years......

The BBC politics programme is at it again - this morning it was 'incentivised' - really!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link. I've saved it and will pass it on to Chris. I was got at on your italics thread on WU by TFC, just because I thought you'd like to know that the italics had gone throughout your Blog from the viewpoint of your readers! Some people are so up their own a***s that I'm surprised they don't choke!
Madeline.

Anonymous said...

I cannot resist the challenge. I do not see where else it might be if not 30.55 (recurring)% from the left edge. Worth tickling though; nice pic.

I look forward to reading comments from David. I hope he realizes that everyone in your circle will have access.
And I agree that the best camera in the world will not make a photographer of someone who does not have an inkling about composition and viewpoints, etc.. That said, a lot can be learned and most people only want a record of children growing up, so that they can say, “Didn’t he used to be lovely?”

I had no idea that your Casio is in such a parlous state. And fancy Yvonne knowing weeks before you did! I am inclined to think your change of mind about the SLR is probably the right one. What with your laptop and all, you would soon need a wheelbarrow.

Pleased to hear that Yvonne and Jill enjoyed each others company. I recently met up again, after 30 years, with Trev, my ‘best friend’ through the 1940s and much of the 50s, until he left to live and work in Stevenage and we largely lost touch. The only thing that had significantly changed is our view of politics. I grew up a Daily Express reader and his chips were wrapped in the Mirror. But the first week of National Service showed me what privilege is and turned me violent red (since modified to a fetching pink) whereas the Wolfenden Report (stopped him taking the Observer)and Tony Blair have coloured Trevor True Blue. But we still got on well, ‘as though it was yesterday’, as they say. He wants me to visit him but threatens to take me into London (he is into art galleries and is a ‘Friend of the Globe’, which is great). But London is a big deterrent; I do not like it at all.

I am not sure what ‘ this link ‘ is. So I cannot properly appreciate Madeline’s comment or why she is saying that some people are rather too pleased with themselves (I prefer her way of putting it but would not wish to steal her thunder by repetition). Self effacement in others is much easier to cope with than preening (I am sure there is an appropriate Macbeth quote but cannot bring it to the surface). I am sure that I often give the impression that I am somewhat self-satisfied but that is intended satirically, that is.