Friday, September 08, 2006

Beautiful Day - Outing to Ollerton

This empty table is at the back of The Snooty Fox at Ollerton, where we went with Bob and Sandra for lunch. Although the table was empty with a lovely riverside aspect, we ate indoors. At this time of year flies and worse seem determined to share one's dinner. And a very nice carvery meal it was too. It was really nice that Sandra could join us and we also met Stephanie again after a gap of many years. Basically, Yvonne and I fancied a run out because it was a glorious day 20+C and blue sky and just a waft of breeze. A typical late-summer English day. I ought to find a quote but it's getting late.

We delivered some stuff - the allspice berries, the particularly mean looking weed-burner and some art odds & ends. Bob is welcome to use them or find a good home etc., because we are still clearing things out.

Before we set off the clinic rang and changed my warfarin dosage again. Another blood-test on Monday. Ho hum! Good job the planned Yorkshire Sculpture Park visit is Saturday and Sunday because both the clinic and the surgery are shut at weekends!

Bungus sent us home with apples, homegrown tomatoes and we stopped en route to buy Victoria plums and Damsons. The plums are fine (already sampled) and we both love stewed damsons and claggy custard. In the supermarkets, if you ever see them, damsons are incredibly pricy and this farmer sold me 2 kgms for £1. I had asked for 2 lbs but there he was with his scales and kilogram weights. Some people are so law-abiding. We managed to find the new Mansfield bypass route home and it does cut off a lot of town driving. And much quicker.


This Daddy Long-Legs (crane fly I know, but Daddy Long Legs is better) has taken up residence on the wall in my loo, at the side of the cistern.

I couldn't bring myself to whack him/her with the magazine I had in my hand, so I took his/her photograph instead.

The life span of crane flies is not known to me but it hasn't moved a muscle in 12 hours. Not even the elegantly bent rear leg.

Ho hum! Live and let live..................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sandra went to the Durham Ox at Wellow on Thursday for an early evening meal with Stephanie and Jessica and one of Stephanies’s email friends over from Canada. They sat outside in what was the orchard and Sandra picked all the damsons she could reach from the old tree. Jessica reprimanded her but Sandra contends that because we once lived there she is entitled. She had the impression that no one else was picking them anyway.
My mother used to make damson jam which I didn’t care for at all and not just because it was full of stones. I only like them pickled and they are then absolutely delicious. I am hoping it will be a good year for their close relative, the sloe (for my Hedgerow Jelly and possibly some Sloe Gin which is nice in which to stew rhubarb).

I have seen very few Crane Flies this year, likewise Ladybirds, Honey Bees, Wasps, Greenfly and Butterflies. Only Hover Flies and various Moths in any quantity. Must be the weather. I don’t know how long Daddy Long Legs live either, only that it is a lot less if you swat them (I don’t). But apparently some butterflies have quite a lengthy life span (but not if compared with the Giant Tortoise)..