Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Almost the end of the YSP pictures

I have decided to accept advice (see previous comments) and publish this. As photography was banned in the Longside Gallery, and they had approved the picture for my own personal use, it concerned me that someone with less scruples might purloin it and use it for gain. But, as was astutely pointed out by Bungus, if someone wanted to do that they could simply do what I did and photograph it from outside. This Reclining Youth with a Split Apple is larger than life size and really needs to be seen. All Kenny Hunter's figures from contemporary life are painstakingly made using traditional sculptural methods. The reflections in the glass window, of the grass and trees and fields behind almost add a dimension (in the opinion of Jan Wells, the Press and Marketing Manager at YSP). One can't quite see the split apple - he has half in each hand - but I rate the figure as the equal of any classical sculpture. In fact better than most !

Rather than push my luck with pictures (the uploading thereof) today I have decided to publish just the one. Perhaps I have been overloading poor old 'blogger'. And I am pleased that those already published have given people pleasure.

The weather is much cooler and there is a strong breeze. We have lots of roses which have drawn their second wind so to speak and the garden is quite full of colour. When I went out to the bin last night I thought that it won't be long until we have a frost - traditional of course for Goose Fair early next month. Next computer job is to sort out via Crucial what additional memory I can fit and then get it fitted. Next clearing up job is to get a Scrap Man to give me a price for all the aluminium from the caravan, which at the moment is a nuisance in the garage.

Byeeee...........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It really is a stunning picture of a splendid statue which I think a lot of people may find difficult to take seriously because it has almost a cartoon (ie, comic book) quality about it. There is an element of exaggeration in the weight of the shoes and the width of the jeans. (But then, Michalangelo’s David’s head is far too small for his body). And the crispness of the joins between head and hair, for instance, is not quite natural, somewhat waxlike and too precisely perfect. I think it has a touch of the Bisto Kids about it (which is not intended as adverse criticism; I am just trying to put visual impression into words). Some other adverts, I think perhaps Honda’s (‘Can hate be good? … hate something, take something, make something better’), have a similar quality. Whatever, in my book it is incredibly skilfully conceived and executed.

I must thank Jill for her very simple M&P pie recipe (yesterday’s comment). When Trevor (my friend of over 60 years whom I had not met for that last 30 of them) came up from Stevenage to visit me recently, he chose such a dish at the pub in which we lunched. He was delighted to find that it was a proper pie (ie, cooked under its shortcrust pastry, not a dish of stew with a cloud of puff resting on top) but not like his mother used to make. I knew exactly what he meant although I do not recall ever tasting his mother’s pie. So thanks again Jill.
In 1950, I stayed one night in the Youth Hostel at Ringwood where, at five minutes to ten o’clock at night, after 90 miles in the saddle, I fell hopelessly in love with the beautiful, raven-haired, 30-odd years old warden. I have had no reason to fall out of love with her since.