Friday, September 29, 2006

Torrential Rain - Still Playing with Fujitsu

Picture 1 is taken from the car which was parked roughly in the middle of our ford (on Beanford Lane, Oxton) because the sun shining through the foliage and the look of the water appealed to me. The modern trend for 'water-photographs' seems to involve a long exposure which makes moving water look like candyfloss. The effect appals me. I want water to look like water not wool and if I can see individual droplets, so much the better. When I was a boy and was allowed to borrow the family camera (a folding Kodak) I took a similar photograph of the upper reaches of the Henmore Brook at Ashbourne. Black & White of course, but I was so proud of the light showing through the leaves and the appearance of the brook. My Dad said it was 'alright' which was praise indeed.

Picture 2 is of David and Helen's Morning Glory (Ipomea) 'Heavenly Blue' with the sun shining through it to the extent that it almost looks as if it has been fitted with a light-bulb. They have several plants, front and rear, and all have done very well. Like Helen's Runner Beans which she was worried about at the beginning of the year because they looked a little weak and straggly. I reassured her that plants where the sought-after product is the seeds, often seem to do better if a little judicious underfeeding etc., is practised. They seem to think 'Oh Hoh - things not looking too good, better produce lots of seeds'. Just a theory.

When we went to see them we took the girls a garden-bird poster that had arrived in the Daily Mail. It was colourful and attractive and the very next morning they had been out in the garden bird-spotting. Hope we don't turn them into twitchers.

It was good that Madeline (our meterological correspondent) was able to name the phenomena of the iridescent clouds. The links she posted are well worth a look, particularly the second one, the illustration for which is truly beautiful. Our Brinsley iridescent clouds are obviously no match for those in Western Argentina - but I bet our Morrisons is better.

Jill our erstwhile 'baltic correspondent' has haired off on another mission, to Malta this time and I feel sure that 'words and pictures' will arrive in due course.

More stuff installed on my Fujitsu. Things like CCleaner, Stickies, Macfee Site Adisor, which I consider essential, and a Spy Sweeper which came with it................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find the ford foto, although vg, a little eerie. I find myself looking through the branches for wild long-haired men with banjos. The Morning Glory pic is, in my view, less dramatic than the version received by gmail.

On the subject of mackerel, I understand that the Buenos Aires Morrisons is particularly renowned for its sirloin, which is considered almost as good as that obtainable from the Uraguayan branch at Fray Bentos.