Friday, April 06, 2007

Beautiful Day - 15C - Sky's E-mail and Photos

Regular readers will know that I bought my 8yr old grandaughter Sky her own 4mp Praktica compact digital camera. She took it with her on their Iron Bridge area caravan holiday.

This morning she e-mailed me with a couple of pictures including this one of a displaying peacock. Didn't she do well? I guess that the caravans across the lake are part of the site.

Where would we be without modern technology and competent young people?

This morning we had potential purchaser come to view the bungalow. He was the son of a former colleague and they live in the area. But both Y and I formed the impression that this perhaps wasn't the house for them. We could be wrong I s'pose - Watch this space..... Viewing at a more propitious time wouldn't have been possible. Beautiful sunny morning, gorgeous view, garden full of burgeoning colour and bird song. Oh well !!

Picture 2 is taken from just outside the doctor's surgery and this lovely blossom tree in the Churchyard is always a picture at this time of year. After the 'viewing' we nipped out to do some shopping. Lidl and Morrisons and then I cooked, by popular request, another crispy beef stirfry. It was extremely pleasant again.

After that a kip for me because I didn't sleep too well and then we enjoyed the rest of our Rest Day. Pete (Manxislander) is trying to get to grips with Picasa, on the recommendation of Bungus and me, and I hope he succeeds because it is such a great little programme and he will enjoy it. The QM2 Webcam has been more interesting of late and Anon 1 enjoined us all to look in around 2.30pm. At the moment the ship has Grenada on the left side or I suppose I should say 'port' and seems likely to dock somewhere soon.

Nothing much planned for tomorrow so we might try an hour in the garden. and then mess-about with pictures and t'internet. TJ is coming for a meal on Sunday and instead of the customary lamb I am cooking a gammon joint. I've often pointed out that I don't think some of these so called 'chefs', who write cookery pages for the weekend press, actually have ever cooked anything. There was a 'classic' last Saturday. After gushing that 'the only thing to cook at Easter is a leg of fresh Spring Lamb' the writer listed in the ingredients ' a 6lb leg of Spring Lamb'. Where one could obtain a 6lb leg of lamb at this time of year is a mystery to me at least. New Zealand perhaps. But British lambs just aren't that big yet and in my opinion one would be lucky to find a 3lb one. If I was entertaining say 8/10 people I would buy two legs.

Not too much Easter Egg choccy now !! You'll be sick......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’VE GOT IT. It wasn’t a cow it was a SHEEP-DOG!

Just on the grounds of a possible likelihood that I might explain Picasa in more basic terms than RadioG (because of my own limited grasp of IT terminology) I would be happy for my email address to be passed on to Pete (Manxislander).
I have become so accustomed to the programme’s simple values (compared with, say, Paintshop)that it is difficult to imagine anyone struggling but, knowing some of the problems I encounter with things that others seem to cope with readily, I am totally sympathetic
Our family dinner on Monday is to be baked gammon with leeks in white sauce and Potatoes Anna. This is a favourite of mine. At one time Sandra would also have greatly .enjoyed it (ham was, for her, the most difficult aspect of vegetarianism; the ultimate temptation) but she has been sworn of meat for 20 years now and her wheat and dairy allegy cuts out the accompaniments. I dare say she will have a tomato and two radishes.
I have to agree with you about the chefs; I am not convinced that they try cooking their recipes before publication. I understand that Nigel Slater is one of the best selling,.although I find most of his recipes over complicated. But I did try his onion rarebit recipe which, although very tasty, was only supposed to do two slices of toast. I have already had four (spread thickly) and there is enough of the mix left for about another week.

I was fascinated with a Freda Kahlo video on Artsdaily website yesterday and then found that there was a biopic about her on BBC2 last night. Well worth watching (I had no idea that -apparently - she had an affair with Trotsky which displeased her serially unfaithful husband Diege Rivera). A fascinating woman and remarkable artist.
As it didn't finish until 12.50 I was too tired to watch more than the first half hour or so of the following lighter film version (which I prefer to the gloomier Warren Beatty) of The Great Gatsby. To me, it absolutely captures the essence of that splendid novel.
How nice to finish on a cultural note. I feel a glow.

Anonymous said...

PS
3 errors

1) Our family dinner will also be on Sunday not Mondaybaked ham

2) It should be 'off meat' not 'of meat'

3) It is 'Frida' not 'Freda'