Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Super Day - Renishaw Hall - Can't fault it.


Top marks to Yvonne for spotting the words 'Renishaw Hall' and 'Bluebell Woods' in the Saga magazine which, I'm afraid to say, we subscribe to. We live so close - 3 Motorway junctions up the M1 and maybe 20+ miles away, and we had never heard of it. It is an early 17th Century Hall, and the family home of the Sitwells. The house is only open by special arrangement but the gardens and woods are open March to October and certain days of the week only. There is an interesting museum and art galleries plus the inevitable Cafe - of which more later.

It was very easy to find and took us maybe 35 minutes even with the motorway being busy. And what a joy when we got there ! The light was good but my very best photographic efforts don't do justice to the beauty of the bluebell woods. I guess I could have tried a panorama but I don't feel at ease with that programme yet. I took plenty of frames though and even though I've already had a good cull there are several that look 'blogworthy'. It is apparently possible to 'link' sounds into one's Blog but I don't believe it's possible, yet, to 'link' smells. I only wish it were because the scent from acres and acres of uninterrupted bluebells was incredible. For me, being normally selective, I took loads of pictures. 50plus which I have now edited down to 30 with more probably to be axed, when I've thought about them abit more. Also unusually for me I upped my pixel count to 2048 x 1536 instead of my normal 1600 x 1200 thinking a larger than normal print might be called for.

One great thing about the place was the provision of frequent benches and alcoves and things to sit on. Walking for me is difficult at the best of times - impossible at others! But with such a plethora of seats I could get round in 20 yard bursts. We found one super place, under a laburnum arch (not in flower yet of course) and must have sat there for the best part of an hour. Papers, magazines, coffee and lots of just 'sitting and enjoying'. Everything about the place 'sang'. The woodland paths were neat and filled with wood-chip and we didn't see any litter at all.

The cafe was very nice too and we both had superbly cooked meals. And the staff were so pleasant and cheerful and provided us with two glasses of plain tapwater without demur to go with our food. We went once, and I stress the once, to a restaurant who refused and insisted we buy a commercial bottle of water. After a break and a chat and a look at the photos so far (ah! the magic of digital photography) we had a pot of tea and a cake. I know. I know - perhaps next week.

The motorway was even busier on the drive back and when I checked my computer there were 14 emails. And, hoping against hope, that it isn't so - Google Mail keeps telling me I have the symptoms of a virus and asks me to copy out a 'security code' before letting me access my account. Bearing in mind the trouble Ray has recently had, and he is much better equipped to know what to do. I'll see what tomorrow brings.

No comments: